Monday, September 1, 2014

We Don't Want A Strong Concept!

In the graphic design building on campus, a student posted the title of this post on the wall, somewhat protesting the need for a strong concept in graphic design. While hilarious and snarky, it does ask an important question that I sometimes often struggle with-

What is the importance of a concept in visual art? Why is it that artists, critics, etc. feel that the makers of art have to have some strong, deep conceptual backing to hold their work accountable?

As children, we start making art simply to fulfill the need for a creative outlet- somewhere to expel energy without ripping the house apart, or something like that. We made art because we wanted to, and at that point, it was enough.

As adults, so many of us are plagued with the question, "So, what is your work about?" 

Simply stating that it's about the damn vase on the table and how the light bounced off the ceramic isn't really ever the answer that's acceptable. Take my work for example- while I do have a concept that I feel is developing into something quite strong and well thought out, I still struggle regularly with how to word it, how to paint it, and why the hell I'm even bothering in the first place.


This is not an orange.
It isn't that the struggle is all that debilitating- I really enjoy mentally working out compositions and how said compositions drive a particular point home. What makes things difficult for me personally as an artist is getting those organized thoughts from my head to paper, or to mouth, whatever you like. In my brain box, everything makes sense- this relates to this, and so on... When it comes out of my mouth, it sounds like jumbled word vomit that no one wants to clean up.

Does anyone else have this problem? I know I have this problem. It's a problem.

I'm really hoping that in the oncoming months, I can figure out how to fully articulate what I want to communicate in my work, as well as why I find this method of creation important to my own personal growth, and to the growth of the art world, as well.


Also not an orange- I like to think of this as my struggle with the  Dionysian and Apollonian dichotomy, and its role in factory farming.
Happy painting!

Best,

C.

3 comments:

  1. I think every artist struggles with this, and it's totally natural for it to take sometime before you get that answer (I know I still am working towards it). In my opinion, great artwork does not necessarily have to be ultra conceptual, especially if it is to the point that it isolates and confuses people. But on the flip side, a piece of art needs to have an idea behind it that is engaging. If it is shallow and uninteresting, of course people are going to ask, "so why should I care?"

    This is tough though. Often times these considerations can cause any artist to become overly-critical of his or her work, spawning insecurities and/or influencing an artist towards a direction that may not really be what he or she wanted to do in the first place. Of course growing and developing a concept is important, but changing your ideas and work out of insecurity or pressure to adhere to some contemporary, conceptual trend, in my opinion, deludes that initial sincerity.

    In the end, stay true to you. Listen to others and be open to their suggestions, but let your gut decide if their opinions will truly benefit your art or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Sometimes you do have a fairly specific communication in mind, but then you have to watch for being heavy handed. But when there isn't really anything you're trying to say (oranges!), then you have to ask yourself, why am I doing this particular thing? Why am I spending a bunch of hours, not to mention money on supplies, on this? Whatever you come up with may not be a capital c Concept, but it's totally a concept, and likely worth exploring anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I totally feel that not all art needs a concept. I strongly feel, "this looks pretty, and is pleasing to my eyes" is completely honest and acceptable

    ReplyDelete