Tuesday, July 5, 2016

CHASING THE GHOST: 2016 MFA Thesis Exhibition & Some Rambles About Decompression.

If you've been following me on my other social media platforms for awhile, you'll know that I recently finished my MFA at Edinboro University. Now that I've been out of school for two months, I figured I would finally sit down and hash out the post about my thesis show! My show, CHASING THE GHOST, served as the culmination of my graduate school experience. Rather than drive myself crazy with an entirely new body of work during my last two semesters of school (before your eyebrows lower into a regular position, note that some artists actually do crank out an entirely new body of work in 6-8 months PURELY for their thesis, and no, they're not crazy. People do it all the time.), I decided to include the best paintings from all three years of school. I felt it important to include pieces spanning from 2014-2016, as it showcased the progress I had made during my stay at EU, and gave the general public an example of how an artist's work can change with time, effort, and enough stress and anxiety to pull an 18-wheeler with your teeth. 


The setup and preparations for this show were relatively simple. I chose to work with PACA in Erie, Pennsylvania- they offered a wonderful, semi-industrial space that I thought would really allow my paintings to be viewed in a simplistic, yet professional manner. PRO TIP (although I'm by no means a pro): Find a gallery that is willing to work with you in terms of time frame and pricing. If you have to pay to rent a space for your thesis show (or any show you participate in), make sure you sign a contract with them that outlines prices and what they're for. My contract didn't include a pricing list (if I could offer the gallery any criticism, it would definitely be to outline all pricing in their contract, and to have it a little sooner than a week before an exhibition. The prices were MORE than excellent and affordable, but if you're like me and have to have everything figured out and outlined (in writing), it's very helpful to have that ahead of time for your artists). However, the gentleman I worked with was very thorough and explained everything I needed to know over coffee. Thanks, Mark! Here are some of the photos fro the show, I hope you enjoy them! 
Dead Weight and Into the VoidVortex, both sold!



Apparitions

L to R: Chasing the Ghost (NFS), Morning Glory, (sold) Morandi (sold),
Apparitions, Dead Weight (sold), Into the Void/Vortex (sold),
Ghost on the Stairs (sold), Tuesday Afternoon (sold), and Descend (sold)

These two paintings will never be for sale! I
did, however, place them together to show
the progress I had made during my stay at EU. Put My Little
Shoes Away (2014) 
and Chasing the Ghost (2016)

Shadowdance with A Lesson in Letting Go in the background.

Morning Glory, Morandi, Apparitions, Dead Weight, Into
the Void/Vortex.

The largest piece of the show, A Lesson in Letting Go.


L to R: Overhead, A Cutting of Ties, the Grand Allusion, 
with Put my Little Shoes Away and Chasing the Ghost
in the background.

Ghost on the Stairs (sold), Tuesday Afternoon (sold), Descend (sold).

L to R: The Great Epiphany (sold), Phantom Limb, Overhead,
A Cutting of Ties, the Grand Allusion (sold).






As many artists have discovered, the MFA thesis exhibition can either make, break, or do nothing for you at all. Luckily for me, the second of those choices seemed to be the outcome. I'm not saying that I had a Saville-esque experience involving my entire show selling out (I sold several and traded a few for other artist's pieces), but I did gain a sense of confidence and satisfaction that I had accomplished something bigger than myself.

EDIT: I realized after publishing this bad boy that I didn't even talk to you about decompression, and it's right in the title!!!! AHH!

Anyway, after graduation I used some of my time to just be. I decided that after graduate school, it would be perfectly fine to take a month or so off from painting just to collect my thoughts and plan my next move. If you know me well, you'll know that my next move was actually a month-long artist residency at the Vermont Studio Center! I'm here currently, settling in, blocking in a painting, and working out a concise blog schedule to keep you all updated more. Another pro tip: Be mindful of what your mind and body needs, and if you need time off from working, DO IT. You may feel like you're ready to claw the walls, but I promise you that it's beneficial. I'm someone who has a bit of a lazy soul- I'm not lazy in the slightest, but I do tend to get bent out of shape if I don't occasionally take time to just exist as a human in the world. I may be a visitor here, but my body is not- sometimes the body just needs a little time to pick itself up after being worked so hard. If you take anything from this post, take the advice of allowing yourself a break. <3

1 comment: